Re: Noise, Nature, Politics, & Psychiatry

In a message dated 97-12-17 07:54:03 EST, Sean writes:

>People who are intelligent tend to think a lot more and
> are thus more likely to be disturbed by noise problems
>and other interferences with their thought processes.
> People who tend to be thoughtless probably have
>less of a problem with noise, as do those who use drugs
> and alcohol to blot out reality.

  Unfortunately, I think the proliferation of TVs and stereos has
  done a lot to erode intelligence and promote mindlessness
  in our society.   Back when I was a kid, mothers used to read
  bed-time stories to pre-schoolers.  That did a lot to promote
  literacy and verbal skills.  These days it's too easy to just set
  'em down in front of the TV.