[no subject]

Hello everyone,

I'm writing this message in response to the fact that one of my posts got
bounced because of the use of foul language, and felt I would like to get a
debate going about this and about free expression on the group in general.

I am new to this group , and don't know how long it's been around or how it has
evolved over time, but I have to say that I have already received a private
e-mail message from someone who stated they felt that his views were not
welcome on this group, and that he felt that he had to be extra-sensitive about
certain topics, and thus was responding to one of my posts through private
e-mail only. Now I am confronted with having a message bounced because of foul
language, and I have to say that I too, am beginning to feel that I have to
"walk on eggshells" to avoid offending people on this group, which is a
situation I am immensely uncomfortable with. If there are other people who feel
intimidated or uncomfortable about expressing themselves here, then I think
that is a major problem.

Before I say anything else, let me say that I will respect whatever policies
the group chooses to adopt, but that I also feel that people should be able to
say whatever they feel like in the manner in which they choose, provided that
they can avoid personal attacks, flame wars and general visciousness. There
should be no censorship, or constraint of any kind on the expression of
people's ideas. That being said, I  have never seen an Internt mailing list ,
especially in new groups, where free expression *didn't* degenerate into
personal attacks and flame wars at some point. However, this seems to be part
of the "maturing" process of mailing-lists, and groups eventually settle into
relatively balanced discussion as they "grow up."

I therefore wonder if the price of avoiding offending anybody on the list is
perhaps too high, in that it may stifle people's expression, but is not a real
guarantor against things degenerating into flamage anyway (and I hope this
message doesn't spark a conflagration!) But at the risk of offending some
people, let me say that while some people may be extremely sensitive about many
things like foul language, ultimately forcing everyone to defer to every thing
each individual feels sensitive about not only stifles debate but  feeds into
some of the worst stereotypes about people who object to excessive noise: that
we are just a bunch of over-sensitive, neurotic complainers with nothing better
to do then whine about every little problem, and that there is no way to
compromise with us. I for one recognize that my own over-sensitivity is *part
of* the noise problem, with the disrespect and indifference of others being the
other part, and that it is my responsibility to try and develop a little
tolerance for that which cannot be reasonably, effectively or fairly corrected
to suit my personal preference. I hope I am not alone in this feeling.

Thanks for letting me rant,

Sean Conlon

My personal view is that expletives and associated bad lanaguage are
unnessecary - surely there's sufficient vocabularly to express the feeling and
viewpoints. To try and argue coherently, politely and effectively must be our
aim.

Matthew