Re: Question

>An open question to all:
>
>I know that many people don't get all fired up over the boom box issue
>(even some on our list).  As an example, my Mom doesn't hear
>particularly well, so when she's over she doesn't notice the noise.
>Still, others do hear it and -- aside from the Prozac users who seem not
>to mind too much at all (I'm not being tastless, just making a point),
>the feedback I've received -- especially from women -- is that there
>isn't much you can do about it, so why let it bother you.
>
>So here's my question(s): does it actually bother people but they simply
>assume there isn't anything that can be done, and thus try to ignore it
>-- or do they simply not notice the noise at all, so they can't begin to
>understand what the fuss is all about?

I think it's a combination of all of these things, but most people I know
find boom cars to be a major menace. I know a lot of people, myself
included, who have suffered immensely from these things, yet seldom
complain to the police becasue the police usually don't want to get
involved or come off with a nasty attitude when you call, treating you like
*you're* the psycho.

>I note that most men I've spoken with seem very aware of the megabass
>while many women seem less bothered by it (no, I'm not seeking to have
>this degenerate into a sexist issue). IMO it has more to do with our
>perception of society in that I think society can legislate against this
>type of problem while others don't want legiaslation of their freedoms,
>etc.
>
>So, are people bothered but reluctant to complain -- or just not
>bothered at all?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Bob S.

I believe that if effective enforcement were available, and if people were
aware of their options, more people would complain about boom cars. On the
other hand, as a former tenant association leader, I was amazed at the
things people were relectant to complain about, including rent overcharges
and dangerous conditions in their apartments. In one case,  I found that a
couple was illegally overcharged over $17,000 in their rent-stabilized
apartment, and yet they refused to file the paperwork to get this money
refunded to them! Boom cars might seem a low priority to people who won't
complain about fire hazards or drug dealers in their neighborhoods, but who
would be more than happy to see all these scourges eliminated if somebody
else would do the work for them.

Sean Conlon