Re: Measuring noise

    I came across yet another set of examples for each 10 dB increment
in the decibel scale which favors quiet even more than the Britannica
article.  These don't specify a distance either, so they can't be
considered definitive, but I still like 'em because here "loud" starts
at 50 dB instead of 70 dB.  No source was given, but I submitted a
request for that information which I'll post to the list as soon as it
comes in.
                                      David Staudacher - quiet@igc.org
   10 dB.......light whisper
   20 dB.......quiet conversation
   30 dB.......normal conversation
   40 dB.......light traffic
   50 dB.......typewriter, loud conversation
   60 dB.......noisy office
   70 dB.......normal traffic, quiet train
   80 dB.......rock music, subway
   90 dB.......heavy traffic, thunder
  100 dB.......jet plane at takeoff

   [from The Old Farmer's Almanac (Robt. Thomas) for 1997, p.285]