Re: Measuring noise

Hi Stephen,

> from the speaker.  What matters is what it measures at my ear and distance
B> be damned.

  There are two main issues at hand and we are mixing them up. Noise from
the perspective of the listener and noise ratings of products/commodities
by the manufacturer.
  Certainly no one would argue that as individuals being impacted by
noise, the only measurement that really matters is that at the listener's
ear. In this case, you are correct, distance does not have to be measured
or taken into account.
  When we talk of conversation registering 60 dB we _assume that the
person taking the reading is holding the meter close to the ear of the
listener _and that the conversation is being held in a "normal" fashion
with the individuals a few feet apart. Similarly for a whisper
registering 30 dB.
  Now how do we interpret "traffic at 80 dB"? People listen to traffic
from their homes/offices, from their cars, outside as pedestrians 10, 50,
100, 200 or more feet away. In this case stating that traffic is 80 dB is
quite meaningless without mentioning a specific distance.
  "Conversation" implies a certain distance, "traffic" does not.

 Concerning the second issue; noise ratings of products/commodities by the
manufacturer, it is imperative to not only take distance into account
when making the ratings, but also for industries to establish standards.
This way we won't have manufacturer A claiming that his product emits 90
dB(A) at 10 feet and manufacturer B claiming that his product emits 85
dB(A) at 15 feet.

 Eric Greenspoon
  President - NoiseWatch