Re: Measuring noise

Message text written by INTERNET:quiet-list@igc.org
>These numbers seem kind of high to me.  My reference source (1981
Encyclopedia Britannica article "Acoustical Engineering") rates "quiet
conversation" at 30 dB, "ordinary conversation" at 40 dB and "noisy
office, telephone conversation, ordinary traffic" at 60-70 dB.
<

David,

This particular set of figures came from the EPA Joural on Noise and the
Environment, Vol.5, No. 9, Oct. '79.  The  pamphlet "Noise, Ears and
Hearing Protection" dated 8/88 from the American Academy of Otolaryngolgy
lists a whisper at 30 dB, normal conversation at 60, a lawnmower at 90.