Re: Measuring noise

On Fri, 12 Dec 1997 11:45:08 -0500,
STEPHEN O. FRAZIER  <SFNABQ@compuserve.com> wrote:

>Moderate rainfall (which might wake you up if you're a light sleeper) is 50
>dB(A) and normal conversation is 60 dB(A).

   These numbers seem kind of high to me.  My reference source (1981
Encyclopedia Britannica article "Acoustical Engineering") rates "quiet
conversation" at 30 dB, "ordinary conversation" at 40 dB and "noisy
office, telephone conversation, ordinary traffic" at 60-70 dB.

   It appears there is a difference of about 20 dB between our numbers.
What reference are you using?  I realize your numbers are based on the
dB(A) weighting system, but I don't think there's that much of a
difference between the two systems (dB vs dBA).

   David Staudacher - quiet@igc.org