A short essay on Silence...

   As I was waiting to pay for a purchase at my favorite bookshop, I
picked up a little book of Daily Meditations for each day of the
year and it fell open to this page.  I bought the book on the spot.

                        *  MARCH 1  *
           Silence is the element in which great things
           fashion themselves.           - Thomas Carlyle

   There is great power and wisdom in growing to the point where
silence becomes our friend.  It is in silence that we best listen and
a great portion of life's best secrets can only be learned in silence.

   Those running from themselves and the hurtful lessons of the past
fear silence more than any other reality.  They fear they may hear
themselves in that silence.  Such people are always lonely - whether
alone or surronded by multitudes.

   In reality, if we stand still and be quiet, the word we hear softly
spoken in the inner court of our own castle is full of beauty and
loveliness.  If we listen we will learn that we are not bad, that we
are not disgusting, failure-ridden people, and we are not powerless.
Quite the contrary, there is much that is right and noble about us.

   Alone or lonely - it is a matter of courting silence or not.