Re: Metallica

On Sat, 15 Nov 1997 22:28:27 -0800,
Risk Control Technologies, Inc.  <rctinc@erols.com> wrote:

>The lack of a sense of humor has proven most fascinating.  If someone
>can't figure out that what was being bounced back and forth was in jest
>then those someones's need to lighten up a wee bit.

   It's good to remember that we have subscribers from all over the
world on the list.  Given the varieties of culture and language
represented, we shouldn't assume that a jest will be understood as
such everywhere in the world.  To some subscribers, terms like "mob
contract" and "silencer" may well be interpreted as "advocating
murder" as Peter says.  IMO, misinterpretation can best be avoided by
a "presumption of sincerity".  Jesting is better left to private
exchanges between those who understand the context.

   David Staudacher - quiet@igc.org