Re: Metallica

Chris England wrote:

> Risk Control Technologies, Inc. wrote:
> >
> > Hello to all!
> >
> > Haven't heard much lately so I thought I'd intrigue you with the latest
> > noise stupdity from Philadelphia.
> >
> > The rock group Metallica has been trying to find a home for quite some
> > time, but no sane town wants them.  What to do?  Easy, just offer to
> > give a free concert where some poor sap of a town is willing to open a
> > parking lot.  And oh yes, that would be Philly.
> >
> > Enter the screaming folks who will bear the brunt of this idiocy, the
> > South Philly crew of long-time residents who are about to be inundated
> > with decibel lunacy courtesy of the "loudest rock band in the world."
> > South Philly sues but, naturally, money wins out and "da show must go
> > on."
> >
> > So what you'll have on Election Day (how appropriate that these are the
> > kind of "rights" our forefathers died for) is a group of nuts playing to
> > 40,000 screaming whackos trying to be heard over the din of 140
> > decibels. Now there are people who live right across the street from
> > this mess, but they made the mistake of complaining about the urinators
> > and such, so the local media focused more on the nuisance factor rather
> > than the noise, comparing the atmosphere to that associated with
> > sporting or rock concert events that typically take place at the
> > Spectrum (in which parking lot this concert is to happen).  Amazingly,
> > commentators are focusing solely on the beer bottles and loitering and
> > totally ignoring the noise barrage that the locals will be forced to
> > endure.
> >
> > So when this list thinks people can just do the right thing and make
> > everything better, they should have a good hard look at South Philly,
> > alleged home of the Philly Mafia.  Now those of you who know me (and I
> > don't live anywhere near this mess) know that I'm rooting for the mob to
> > take a VERY ACTIVE role in trying to discourage the performers and/or
> > participants.  Then again, there's a lot of money being made, and we all
> > know the mob gets a cut...
> >

> Metallica is a symbol for noise, not noise.  Many people thought of
> Benny Goodman in the late 30's the same way.  Loud and raucous horns and
> drums.  No let us be tolerant!

Since you are a list member I was a bit confused over whether you were
being facetious with your tolerance plea.  I'll assume that any member
who advocates "quiet" would hardly tolerate and/or promote having 140
decibels from hell pumped into the homes of local (as in right next
door) residents just to satisfy someone's lust for noise and money, and
in the name of "freedom of speech."

That said, I know a fair bit about Benny Goodman, the Stones/Beatles,
Springsteen, Tull, Aerosmith, et al, and I'll tell you 2 things: 1) in
no way shpae or form did Benny Goodman EVER approximate the decibel
level of Metallica; and, 2) you put these people in a stadium or other
enclosure and I'm not real likely to complain.

When you allow people to use their "right to express themselves /free-
speech"  BS to invade the freedom and privacy of other people who have
no interest/desire to listen (and in fact this concert will drive people
from their homes -- unless they are too worried about the hordes of
Metalheads using their homes for personal watering spots), then we have
a society that has lost touch with what the founding fathers had in mind
when they started getting this thing together way back when.

I won't/don't stop people from listening to what they want but they
should not be allowed to prevent me from not listening to their garbage.
You want to spout and/or preach hatred, drugs, suicide, etc., fine, get
a permit and do it someplace other than my home.  There are lines that
need to be drawn in society and I'm all for freedom -- but your freedom
stops where mine starts.  Step on my toes and I'll show you a painful
new meaning of tolerance.

Bob S.