Data on Basketball Impact Noise?

Hello,

I have just come across this list while trying to solve a noise problem
and would appreciate your assistance.  Sorry if it has been hashed out
somewhere before.

The problem is this:

The local council have proposed (and are currently building) a basketball
court in a fairly small park surrounded on three sides by blocks of units
up to 10 levels high.  My concern is that this will subject occupants to
bounce noise from adolescents bouncing their basketballs while going to
and from the court and this will be a nuisance for decades to come for
people who work shifts (eg at the nearby major hospital).

There is comparatively little basketball played in Australia and thus
there appear to be few people knowledgeable in this area.

I am capable of doing much of my own research / follow-up since I have
a physics / engineering background but would appreciate some pointers in
the right direction for specific details of basketball impact noise,
preceived noise levels, nuisance / annoyance / news items on that subject.

(The court is also being constructed immediately adjacent to a toddlers
playground and I envisage that the basketballs would be used as ersatz
soccer balls so if anyone has details about terminal velocity, etc. and
trauma from basketball injury to toddlers it would also be appreciated.)

Many Thanks,
Charlesw

      "Creativity and innovation are measured not by what is done,
           but by what could have been done ... but wasn't"

Charles Willock                                 charlesw@cse.unsw.edu.au
School of Computer Science and Engineering          Ph:  +61 2 9385 6626
University of New South Wales,                      Fax: +61 2 9385 5995
New South Wales  Australia  2052    http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~charlesw