Re: Complaints about airport noise

Hi Jack,

> << There are two fundamental problems concerning airport complaint hotlines:
>   >>

> Agreed.
>
> But the up side is that it keeps the issue in the public eye.  What becomes
> our job then is to "market" the issue.

  The issue will be kept in the public eye only if the public is aware of
the hotlines and the hotline reporting records are accurate.
  Here in Toronto a so-called "non-profit" organization called the
Greater Toronto Airports Authority (GTAA) took control of the operations
of Pearson International airport last December. Previously, the federal
government managed and operated the airport. There is an obvious conflict
of interest at play here: the GTAA wants to create an airport system
which contributes "agressively to economic development" and at the same
time is environmentally sensitive!
  Until such time as an unbiased third party is monitoring noise
complaints and has the *power to act upon them* in a meaningful way,
airport noise will continue to increase.
  I mention accurate complaint records as the GTAA admitted at a
September meeting that their hotline answering machine has been
malfunctioning.

 Eric Greenspoon
  President - Citizens' Coalition Against Noise