RE: NOISE NETWORK UK UPDATE

Val,

Thanks so much for posting this information. Your successes, though they
may seem modest to you, are a source of inspiration to us in North America.

The New Scientist, 16 Aug. 1997, reports that in June there was a workshop
at the University of Leicester on the non-auditory effects of noise, and
the Department of Environment "is aiming to improve our understanding of
'the effects of human exposure to sound' and plannning to minimize noise
pollution by tackling noise at source and by developing more effective
remedies for noise problems." The environment minister says the department
is carefully reviewing its priorities on research into noise. That sounds
like progress to me.

BTW, I notice that messages are occasionally forwarded through David
Staudacher.
I hope everyone knows that "quiet@igc.org" is David's personal address, and
if you want to post directly to the list, the address is
"quiet-list@igc.org."

Peter Donnelly
Right to Quiet Society
http://www.islandnet.com/~skookum/quiet/