Re: Classroom Noise

On Tue, 21 Oct 1997, David Staudacher wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Oct 1997 12:44:08 -0700,
> Maxine Carpenter wrote:
>
> >When I brought up the soundscape, the uncomprehending silence was profound.
> >Thinking people didn't know the word, I explained. It didn't help.
>
>    I think most people are still unfamiliar with the idea.  Until it
> gains wider acceptance, I think the only ones who'll get it are those
> who've at least heard of R. Murray Shafer, which is at best a minority
> within the minority which has studied classical music.  In the meantime,

  I agree. Stop 100 people in the street and you'll be lucky if 1 or 2
know what soundscape means. Hopefully this will change shortly.

>    How long before we have teachers using mic's and amplifiers to
> teach an ordinary class of 20 or 30 students?  Sound ridiculous?
> It may be just around the corner.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised
> if it's already routine in some places.

  Michael allow me to quote from a recent Vibes Magazine from The Canadian
Hearing Society:

 Article entitled "Today's Lesson: Noise in the Classroom"
" Use of FM technology

 Amplification systems are now available for use in a regular classroom
to address some of the listening and learning concerns resulting from
poor acoustic conditions. The teacher wears a wireless FM microphone
which transmits his or her voice to an amplifier and speaker system
installed in the classroom. Use of FM systems can enhance the teacher's
voice by 8 to 15 dBA and simultaneously reduce teacher vocal fatigue. "

 Of course the question begs to be asked - why not simply build
acoustic-friendly schools and classrooms so these devices would become
unnecessary?

 Great digging David to come up with the classroom noise stuff.

 Eric Greenspoon
  Vice President - Citizens' Coalition Against Noise