Re: Road Noise

Bill Wilson,

> Apparently there is an exponential relationship bewteen the speed of the
> vehicle and the noise it produces

I'm sorry that I haven't got the reference with me right now, but I think
it is not exponential but a fairly high power, I guess sound pressure
increases as the fifth or sixth power of speed. This means that doubling
the speed implies 32-fold or 64-fold increase in pressure, or 30 to 36 dB
in sound presure level.

> small reductions in speed can result in larger reductions in noise.

This remains true because of the large exponent.

Best regards.