Re: Road Noise

David Staudacher wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Sep 1997 13:48:40 -0700,
> Christopher England   <cengland@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> >But freeway noise rumbles through most of LA.  The noise bounces off
> >clouds, gets bent by inversion layers; its all over.  Nobody knows that
> >it can be controlled.  QUIETER TIRES!
>
>    How can you make a tire more quiet?  Is it a different rubber
> formula?  Different tread design?
>
>    I think the kind of road surface can make a lot of difference
> too.  Often when I'm on a freeway I notice how the sound can change
> dramatically according to the type of road surface changes.  The
> noisiest always seems to be the standard grey concrete style.  I have
> seen red-ish looking surfaces that are somewhat quieter.  Country
> two-lane blacktop always seems to have a low, rumbling quality.
>
>    The quietest freeway surface I have ever encountered is on the Belt
> Parkway in Brooklyn, New York.  It runs beside the ocean and
> connects the boroughs of Brooklyn and Queens.  It was resurfaced
> sometime in the late '80s with what I believe was a material
> containing large amounts of tiny bits of crushed glass.  At least it
> appeared to be by the way it glistened at night.  But, for whatever
> reason, it's the quietest stretch of freeway I've ever been on.  It
> could well have been intentional too, for there are many hi-rise
> apartments along the Parkway.  Perhaps Arline knows something about
> this?
>
> David Staudacher - quiet@igc.org
> For info, send message "info quiet-list" to same.
On flat ground, I believe tire noise is easily the #1 source of noise
from autos.  Uphill, engine and tire noise are about equal.  For trucks,
of course, it's usually engine noise that dominates.  Road surface is a
primary factor.  A change from concrete to asphalt makes a big
difference INSIDE a car, so probably also on the outside.  Has anyone
seen any data?

I made some measurements overlooking the I210 freeway in LA.  Tire noise
reflected off the (nearly parabolic) center crash barrier seemed to be
the #1 problem.  The noise was about the same no matter what vehicle was
passing.