Re: How much noise is too much noise?

Sorrento95@aol.com wrote:

> My sympathy is extended to those who suffer from
> commercial and industrial noise.
>
> In my life, however, the biggest noise problems are
> associated with recreational and voluntary activities.
> Barking dogs and auto stereos ("boom cars") are at
> the top of the list.   Additionally, businesses who use
> loud stereos to promote themselves are also offensive
> -- particularly those which attach speakers to the
> overhangs above the sidewalks and blast noise into
> the public airs.  Auto and motorcycle mufflers altered
> to be loud also provide significant aggravation and
> stress.
>
> How are these kinds of problems dealt with in your
> area?
>
>    -- Michael Wright
> For info, send message "info quiet-list" to same.
Barking dogs and boom boxes in LA?  I have not yet measured noise from
someone complaining about dogs (although I'd have to get a call from a
city official to investigate).  I got one on fighting cocks, made the
overnight measurements, could barely find the rooster crowing in the
background of the complainant's air conditioning compressor!  I think
barking dogs are handled more by negotiation than litigation.

Boom boxes must be neighborhood-specific.  I hear of complaints, but
rarely hear the boxes except in city traffic.  Likewise motorcycles.
There just aren't many MC's on the road in LA except an occasional
weekend celebrity ride.  Maybe they make too-easy targets!

But freeway noise rumbles through most of LA.  The noise bounces off
clouds, gets bent by inversion layers; its all over.  Nobody knows that
it can be controlled.  QUIETER TIRES!