RE: Purpose of quiet-list

The first step is to get acoustic assault recognized as a crime. I think
we're a long way from that.

I think I hear the two Bobs advocating a Greenpeace-style (or even Sea
Shepherd-style) campaign that would generate publicity through
controversial actions. The populace at large, though, is probably a lot
more willing to accept extremism in defense of the environment than
extremism in defense of quiet. Quiet is not yet recognized as an
environmental value.

I have to go back to my experience at the Earth Day rally, when I was
called a "freak" and physically assaulted for asking that the volume be
turned down to safe levels. When I complained in writing to the organizers,
I not only did not receive an apology but was criticized for being
"confrontational". The irony here can best be appreciated by those who have
seen the tactics of the environmental movement in British Columbia over
forestry practices in the last decade or so.

My point is simply that if you sink a whaling ship or chain yourself to a
tree, at least part of the world is going to think you're a hero. If you go
around zapping boom cars, you're going to be almost universally regarded as
a dangerous lunatic. You're also highly likely to get beaten up or worse.

Peter Donnelly
Right to Quiet Society
http://www.islandnet.com/~skookum/quiet/