Noise & Violence

Noise can make people extremely angry.  We all
know this.  It doesn't have to be confirmed by years
of behavioral research before we can justifiably
demand that our governments do more to minimize
noise.

Anyway, in today's Ann Landers column (9/9/97) she
offered her rules of etiquette for gum-chewers.   Rule
number 2 says that "gum should never be heard."

Then she reported having "once read of a gum popper in
an insurance office who was clobbered with a 9-pound
paperweight by a fellow employee who said he had been
'pushed to the brink.' "

Ann then allowed as how she "had no trouble relating to
that."

You and me both, Ann.