RE: Purpose of quiet-list

Bob, thanks for your thought-provoking comments.

I don't want to be a mind guard, benevolent or otherwise. My only concern
is that quiet-list be a place where pro-quiet activists can be comfortable
and exchange useful information with one another. If it becomes a
discussion forum for vigilantism, unquestionably some of our members are
not going to feel that this is a good place to hang out, and we will be the
poorer for their departure. Also, in Canada at least, counselling a
criminal act is itself a crime. I'm not saying you or anyone else has done
that, but it gets dicey when you start throwing around words like
"retribution."

Speaking for myself, I'm quite comfortable with a discussion of the
morality of "direct action" against noisemakers, but I would not want to
see the quiet-list as a place to exchange, say, recipes for dog poison. My
line's in the middle somewhere. Ultimately it is up to the moderator, David
Staudacher, to decide what is admissible.

Peter Donnelly
Right to Quiet Society
http://www.islandnet.com/~skookum/quiet/

"Suaviter in modo, fortiter in re."