RE: Diana, Noise, & the Lonely Society

On Mon, 8 Sep 1997, Peter Donnelly wrote:

> Maybe we should start a "conversation day".  No radio, television,
> video, nothing electronic (yes - even e-mail), just plain old
> conversation between human beings.
>
> Karen J.
> <<<<<
>
> That's an excellent idea. Urge people to give another lifestyle a chance,
> just one day out of seven. I propose Wednesday, since that's the day INAD
> falls on.
>
> Any ideas for names? I'd suggest something a bit broader than Conversation
> Day -- Quiet Living Day? Natural Living Day? Reality Day?
>
> I really think we could run with this.

  How about "The Sabbath" ?

  I too think that it is an excellent idea. But why try to re-invent the
wheel? The Jewish religion has been celebrating the Sabbath (Saturday)
for thousands of years! On this day all electronic amenities (such as
those mentioned above) plus automobiles, lawn mowers, computers etc. are
out of bounds. The day is meant to reflect on life, your soul and others.
Conversation is strongly encouraged.

 Eric Greenspoon
  Vice President - Citizens' Coalition Against Noise