Purpose of quiet-list

I've renamed this thread from "Boom Cars." Bob S. wrote:

 The academic in me
suggets you are correct, and that your message is what this list was
designed to advocate.  Another side of me questions what "exactly" a
posting list such as this should strive to accomplish (this is not the
first list to experience such a significant philosophical conumdrum).
Further still, the activist within me that says merely confining
ourselves to righteous indignation and promoting the cause of peace and
quiet may not, in fact, be an adequate response.
<<<

Certainly it is useful for us to have a dialog about what is appropriate on
the quiet-list.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that we ought to try to confine
ourselves as much as possible to a discussion of solutions and to the
exchange of information that may be useful in finding solutions. And to
encouraging one another so we do not feel so alone.

Righteous indignation has its place but there is no point in using this
forum to complain about noise, lack of law enforcement, etc. We're all
agreed on what the problem is.

I guess it's fun to vent one's fantasies occasionally, but any advocacy of
illegal or hurtful actions should not be tolerated here.

That said, I'd really like to see some other people jump in and tell us why
they subscribe to quiet-list and what they would like to get from it.

Peter Donnelly
Right to Quiet Society
http://www.islandnet.com/~skookum/quiet/