Re: Regulation & Road Noise (fwd)

In a message dated 97-09-29 10:38:28 EDT, Federico writes:

  [Earlier post]

<< > The criterion "beyond 30 ft the sound should disappear" has little
 > meaning without a number behind it.  Should it be less than 10% of the
 > ambient? in sound pressure? in energy?  Numbers are needed to give
 <   flesh  to criteria for a quieter and more pleasant environment.

 Depending on frequency and sound pressure level, psychoacoustic
 masking effects begin to be noticeable (that is, a sound becomes
 inaudible in  the presence of another one) when the sound presure
 level goes some  20 dB below the masking sound. Of course this
 is a rough criterion,  because a high-pitched tone won't mask a
 low-pitched one at all, almost regardless of its sound pressure
 level. >>

 What I am looking for is something simple, practical, and
  easy to enforce.  We cannot expect the police to be acoustic
 engineers or audiologists.

 It they can hear an auto stereo from a distance of 30 feet,
 then so can I.  I don't want to hear it.   They should be
 empowered to write a ticket if they can hear the noise
 30 feet from the source.

 Does it have to be any more complicated than that?