Re: Are we just cranks?

Peter Donnelly wrote:

> This is in response to some questions about how isolated we really are in
> our opposition to noise pollution.
>
> The following are the percentages of people responding positively to
> questions in the survey conducted by the Vancouver Urban Noise Task Force.
> The full report is available at
> http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/ctyclerk/cclerk/citynoisereport/index.htm.
>
> Ticket owners of barking dogs           72
> Impound barking dogs                    54
> Restrict Sunday mowing                  54
> Prohibit leafblowers                    31
> Increase no. of quiet parks             70
> Reduce siren volume                     37
> Allow police entry to disable alarms    73
>
> Is noise a problem? Frequently 25, occasionally 30, seldom 28, never 17.
> (Higher for city core.)
>
> Peter Donnelly
> Right to Quiet Society
> http://www.islandnet.com/~skookum/quiet/

> For info, send message "info quiet-list" to same.
No, we are all not just cranks.  Some of us are cranks.  What is the
difference?

Cranks are people who complain too much ... about too much.  I conducted
a study for the City of El Monte of noise from a Latin nightclub on
weekend nights.  The cranks were across the train tracks from the club,
next to a busy Freeway (I10), and kept dogs and chickens.  The noise
from the freeway and railroad was overwhelming.  Still, they were only
bothered by sounds from the nightclub.

But noise pollution is like air pollution.  The trick to getting it
reduced is to get recognition from the public that (1) it is
controllable, (2) that it has a deleterious effect on well-being.
Unlike air pollution, it doesn't have to cost much, if anything.

I'm hoping the quiet-list can become an agent to bring this recognition.