Re: Making some noise on quieting

Kathleen Hamilton wrote:

> Again on the subject of "background" music:
>
> I find it appalling that kids want background music in the classroom. It
> does suggest addiction to noise, and aversion to quiet.
>
> I noticed that TV stations were adding percussive noise to their weather
> forecasts. (I've since given away my TV and don't miss it at all.)
>
> We need to make these offenders aware that they're driving away customers.
>
> Kathleen Hamilton
> Freelance Writer and Copy Editor
> Victoria, BC, Canada
> knhamilton@coastnet.com
>
> ----------
> > From: Peter Donnelly <skookum@islandnet.com>
> > To: 'quiet-list@igc.org'
> > Subject: RE: Making some noise on quieting
> > Date: August 1, 1997 9:17 PM
> >
> > Thanks for raising the issue of what we can do to increase awareness that
>
> > noise is a serious problem and not just one of life's little annoyances,
> > like potato chip bags that you have to open with your teeth.
> >
> > The education system is a good place to start. My schoolteacher friends
> > tell me that pupils are now demanding music in the classroom, and in many
>
> > cases they get it (e.g. in art classes). I'd like to see departments of
> > education or school boards banning that, for starters. But I have no idea
>
> > how to go about getting them to put noise pollution on the curriculum.
> >
> > I have seriously considered starting to wear my bright red industrial
> > earmuffs downtown, to make a point and get people to realize that it has
> > become a hostile environment. (Does anyone besides me think that chirping
>
> > traffic lights are a bad idea? If you don't have them in your town yet,
> > take preemptive action now!) But I'm afraid I would just be viewed as a
> > "freak", to borrow the gentlest word that was applied to me when I
> > protested the 105 dB speeches at the Earth Day rally.
> >
> > By the way, I'm happy to hear that Argentinians are taking protective
> > measures against the sun. Here it is unusual to see anyone wearing a hat,
>
> > and skimpy clothing is the norm in summertime.
> >
> > But to return to the point: please, everyone on this list, chip in and
> give
> > us your ideas about practical measures to get people thinking about noise
>
> > and how it is harming us.
> >

> > Peter Donnelly
> > Right to Quiet Society
> > http://www.islandnet.com/~skookum/quiet/
> >

> > ----------

Sometimes background music in the classroom is not a bad thing depending
on the class.  Studies show that some classiscal music played low in a
math class tends to help students with their math problems.  I know when
I study, I have classical music on in the background.  One of my
professors at school allows us to listen to music (radio stations only
with headphones) when we took our calc final.  Those of us that did this
got better grades.

I do agree, though, that music strictly for background noise is
annoying, but if it's played (like classical in a math class) to help
the students understand, then music (not the noise kids listen to)
should be played.

Since you brought up what annoys you, here's mine:  people who hang the
really loud wind chimes on their front porch so the whole neighborhood
can hear it.  When I sit in the backyard, some days all I hear is their
wind chimes.  I like the quiet in my yard, not the noise from the wind
chimes.  Silly, huh.....