Re: Making some noise on quieting

<< One of my professors at school allows us to listen to music (radio
 >stations only with headphones) when we took our calc final.  Those of
 >us that did this got better grades.

    There is definitely I bias in this kind of research.

    I propose that some people are noise-addicted.  Due to
    continuing exposure from electronic audio sources since
    early childhood, they are distressed and uncomfortable
    with quiet.  Noise-addicted people will perform better on
    tests if they have music instead of quiet.   But will they
    perform better than a matched sample of non-noise
    addicted?

    I propose the following experiment:

     1.  Select a sample of age-matched students who have
          approximately equal performance histories in a specified
          subject area

     2.   Devise an instrument which can discriminated between
           noise-addicted and non-noise addicted (and hope that
           there will be some non-noise addicted)

      3.   Select an exam to give to them

      4.    Sub-divide each group into two -- those who will hear
             music during the exam and those who won't

       5.   Give the exam & compare scores among the four
             groups.