Re: Radio in the workplace

On Fri, 4 Jul 1997 16:54:04 -0400 (EDT),
Sorrento95@aol.com  <Sorrento95@aol.com> wrote:

>> (1) The re-broadcast of a radio transmission on commercial property
>>   is already illegal in itself.  It is considered "theft of service".
>
>This is interesting, but it raises a couple of questions:
>
>  (1)  Couldn't a rebroadcaster make the situation legal by
>       purchasing an ASCAP license?

   Yes indeed, but (hopefully) the cost of doing so would get them to
stop and consider the issue on a cost/benefit basis.  Then they would
probably conclude that it wasn't worth the expense.

>  (2)  Wouldn't a government agency be exempt from the rebroadcasting
>       prohibition?  As I understand it, the theory supporting the
>       requirement of licenses is that rebroadcasters are using the
>       music to support entrepreneurial endeavors.  It seems that this
>       would not apply to the government.

   I don't think so.  I think the ultimate reason for licensing is to
see that composers and performers are justly compensated for their
work.  While it's true that government isn't like a regular business,
I don't think it negates their obligation to pay royalties.

   I read an article on Muzak awhile back that discussed the issue of
illegal re-broadcast.  It said that enforcement was usually done by
having a representative from the local musicians union come by and
explain the law.  I'm sure I can find the article again.  I'll try
and get it this weekend and upload the appropriate excerpts.

David Staudacher - quiet@igc.org