Re: Radio in the workplace

On Thu, 3 Jul 1997 09:30:22 -0700,
Peter Donnelly   <skookum@islandnet.com> wrote:

>Is anyone aware of any legal precedent establishing a
>right to quiet in the workplace?

   Here are a couple of things that come to mind.

   (1) The re-broadcast of a radio transmission on commercial
property is already illegal in itself.  It is considered "theft of
service".  The idea being that the music is being "used" without
paying royalties.  The royalties paid by the radio station DO NOT
cover the further commercial exploitation of their broadcast.  This
was the whole basis for Muzak Corporation.  Muzak pays royalties to
BMI or ASCAP based on the number of businesses served, so performers
and composers are more fairly compensated.
  In the U.S., this law is codified under F.C.C. regulations.  I'm
certain there is a similar law in Canada as well.  A "provincial
government" operation will, hopefully, be inclined to respect the
law.

  (2) We could all sign a petition to be sent to the manager.  He's
obviously not well informed on the issue.  There have been some good
arguments put forth lately about the adverse effects of such low level
noise in the workplace.  Reprints of these articles could be included
with the petition.

David Staudacher - quiet@igc.org