Radio in the workplace

I have a friend who works for the liquor distribution branch of the
provincial government, in a wholesale outlet. Until recently they have had
a policy of having the radio on and off in alternating hours. Recently his
manager has unilaterally decided that the radio will remain on throughout
the working day.

I'm sure most list-members will agree that my friend's rights are being
violated by his being forced to listen to other people's entertainment
noise, but I haven't been able to offer him any practical advice. Is anyone
aware of any legal precedent establishing a right to quiet in the
workplace? It is not a question of decibels, so it's not a matter for the
Workers' Compensation Board.

Peter Donnelly
Right to Quiet Society
http://www.islandnet.com/~skookum/quiet/