RE: 1978 EPA Report

>> I know that Peter and yourself are convinced of this phenomenon. I am
not quite there yet.

Careful, Eric, you might start a debate!

>>Addiction is quite a bit stronger and implies certain withdrawal symptoms
are predictable.

A few years ago I worked with an artist who used to listen to music pretty
steadily. Every now and again the CD would come to an end, or whatever, and
he would continue in silence, absorbed in his work. But then after 15
minutes or so he would start twitching (literally). After a few minutes of
that he would look up, realize what was wrong, then jump up and rush over
to the stereo to put on another tune. It was kind of funny to see,
actually.

It's pretty hard to judge whether most people will suffer withdrawal
symptoms -- simply because their habit is so socially acceptable that they
never have to withdraw.

Anyway I'm not sure that addiction and habituation are all that different.
When I go into my local mall and hear the radio nattering away in the
rafters, not loud enough to be really listened to, I have to conclude that
it is being offered solely as a sort of methadone drip to keep the
noise-addicted customers from feeling jittery.