Re: 1978 EPA Report

Hi Michael,

  I came across the August 1978 EPA report entitled
NOISE: A HEALTH PROBLEM about a year ago or so while I was
researching in the library. You are correct, it is excellent for its time.
It is a shame that the ball was dropped. It is our duty to pick it up and
get it rolling again.

> One deficiency of the booklet is that it does not
> recognize the problem of noise addiction.

 I know that Peter and yourself are convinced of this phenomenon. I am
not quite there yet. Presently I'd be more inclined to say that many
people are conditioned to noise and some may actually become obssessed by it.
Addiction is quite a bit stronger and implies certain withdrawal symptoms
are predictable.

- Eric