Fwd: Noise & Children

Here's something I picked up off the "acoustic-ecology" mailing list.

----- Forwarded message begins here -----
From: Kevin Max Krebs   <kkrebs@sfu.ca>
To: acoustic-ecology@sfu.ca (ae)
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 15:14:14 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Noise & Children
I found the following article in the Vancouver Province yesterday --

--
Noisy Chaos `Hurts' Kids

UPI
  West Lafayette, Ind. -- Parents who hope the help thier children
adjust to stress of everyday lige may want to turn down the noise at
home.
  A Purdue University psychologist says kids who come from highly
noisy or chaotic households can experience delayed language skills
and increased anxiety.
  Theodore Wachs has studied environmental influences on
early-childhood development and helped create a questionaire to help
parents measure the level of "noise confusion" in their home.
  Waches says children need some queit space at home and some sense
of order.  Otherwise, they're more likely to have trouble adjusting
to changing environments outside the home, such as daycare centres.
  The effects can vary with the temperament and sex of a child, he
says.
  "Those who have the most trouble . . . are boys who are intense,
fussy or negative."
  Wachs recommends parents stop using the TV as a source of
background noise and help their children establish a quiet place
where they can retreat -- even if it's only a closet-sized space.

------ Forwarded message ends here ------

David Staudacher - quiet@igc.org