Raising Public Awareness

On Wed, 28 May 1997 20:15:13 -0400 (EDT),
Sorrento95@aol.com  <Sorrento95@aol.com> wrote:

>One of my ideas has been to get the US Surgeon
>General to issue a well-publicised health warning to the Amercan
>public about noise.

Hi Michael,

   Here is some more information on the EPA booklet.  Its focused
squarely on health, in fact titled "Noise: A Health Problem",
published by the EPA Office of Noise Abatement and Control, Washington
DC 20460, August 1978.  Here are some quotes:

   "...noise is more than just a nuisance.  It constitutes a real and
present danger to people's health."

   "The idea that hearing loss is solely the result of industrial noise
is dangerously erroneous."

   "As William Stewart, former Surgeon General of the United States,
has pointed out, there are many incidents of heart disease occuring
daily in the U.S. for which 'the noise of twentieth century living is
a major contributory cause.'"

   "If there is one common denominator degrading the quality of all
our lives, it may well be the almost constant intrusion of noise - in
the home, at work, and in public areas."

   "Newspaper files and police records contain reports of incidents
that point to noise as a trigger of extreme behavior... This
noise-induced, anti-social behavior may be far more prevalent than we
realize."

    "Calling noise a nuisance is like calling smog an inconvenience.
Noise must be considered a hazard to the health of people everywhere."
   - Dr. William H. Stewart, former U.S. Surgeon Gerneral