Re: Introducing myself

Hi David,

>   Did your musical studies include "Ear Training"?

    Well my music studies were very unorthodox. Most everyone I know took
music in high school; I didn't! I was too busy practicing guitar on my
own and playing in a rock band. Guitar wasn't taught in high school in
those days and I wasn't interested in traditional band instruments.
    I began my formal music education in university, years after my first
degree, at age 25. I used to annoy a lot of my classmates as I would
arrive late to class most mornings, in the middle of an ear training
session, jump in in the middle and still pull off better marks than them
when the little tests were handed in. I think it annoyed my professor too
<g>.
    Today when I teach music at high school I always include ear training.
I think it is invaluable knowledge for musicians and non-musicians alike.
It makes people more discerning listeners. Isn't that what we are trying
to do with our noise efforts?

> I'm glad for the education, but I sometimes wonder if I'd be less
> concerned today if I'd never had it.

  Very difficult to say. But it brings up a very good point that I have
trouble dealing with ethically each day. Every person who has contacted
our group with a noise problem has become more sensitive to noise than
before their problem started. I believe that once one becomes "noise
aware" there's no turning back. It's because of this that I have somewhat
of a guilty conscience trying to make the public as a whole, noise aware.

                     - Eric