RE: Must-read newspaper articles

I have never been on a silent retreat, at least not since high school, but
some years ago a group of us who were kayaking in Barkley Sound decided to
make the last morning of the trip a silent one. We got up and packed up the
boats without a word, got in, and paddled five miles. We passed a group of
outbound paddlers who wanted to chat and they must have thought we were
very odd people, not answering them! But to enjoy the stillness of that
place without human chatter was really amazing.