Re: Must-read newspaper articles

Hi Michael,

>    I think frowning on speech is going a little too far.  One
>    of my complaints about our modern noise culture is
>    that it is suppressing human conversation and conviviality.

   I must say, I was  quite surprised when I read that. Here's an excerpt:

 "The lack of speech takes some getting used to.
The need to  communicate is constant. It's
during mealtime that the silence is most
noticeable. Buffet-style meals are served at
specific times during the day in a large dining
hall. Special dietary-need meals wait on a side
counter, next to a name card. Retreatants sit six
to a table, 30 people in total, and not a word is
spoken.
 As time wares <sic> on, fellow
retreatants become accustomed to communicating
silently. Gestures assume the place of
words."

         - Eric