Noise Pollution Bibliography

   I started out this message as an appeal for people to send me
titles for compiling a bibliography of non-technical/general-audience
books and magazine articles on noise pollution, but after drawing on
various resources, I was able to compile this rather extensive list.
If anyone knows of anything not mentioned here which they would like
to include, I'd still like to hear about it.  I'm especially
interested in more recent references.  Printed samples would be ideal.

  These titles are taken from the bibliography of "Noise, the New Menace"
(1975), by Nancy Kavaler.  There are, altogether, some 280 references
in her bibliography, but I selected these because they appeared to be
less technical.

BOOKS:

   "The Tyranny of Noise", Robert Alex Baron (1970), St. Martin's
Press.  (Mr. Baron founded the New York City citizens's movement
"Citizens for a Quieter City" and spoke widely on noise pollution,
from his appearances on the Tonight Show, to testimony before
Congress.)

   "Noise, the New Menace", Nancy Kavaler (1975), John Day Co.

   "The Fight for Quiet", Theodore Berland (1970), Prentice-Hall.

   "Noise and Society", Michael Rodda (1967), Oliver & Boyd, Ltd.

MAGAZINE ARTICLES:

   "Noise", Scientific American, December 1966.

   "Noise - the Scourge of Modern Society", Ambio, June 1972.

   "Noise - Polluting the Environment", Science News, Jan. 31 1970.

   "It's Time to Turn Down All That Noise", Fortune, Oct. 30 1969.

Here are a couple of magazine articles that I found at the library
awhile back...

   "Noxious neighbors: what your landlord must do when your neighbors
drive you nuts:, New York (magazine) Jan 31, 1994 p44(1).  Tenants who
are annoyed by excessive neighbor noise should expect landlords to
take action.  If they do not, the tenants can try withholding or suing
under the Warranty of Habitability Law.

   "Quest for Quiet", Sierra Jul-Aug '92 p4(2).  The Nature Sounds
Society (NSS) is concerned about the effect of noise pollution on
ecosystems in remote areas and is working to publicize the problem.
Noise Pollution may harm important communcations between and within
animal species.  Contact: NSS c/o Paul Matzner, The Oakland Museum,
1000 Oak St., Oakland CA 94607.  Quarterly newsletter.

BOOKS IN PRINT (1997)

A friend of mine has a bookstore with an on-line version of Books in Print.
I did a keyword search on "noise" and "quiet" and came up with about 600
hits.  I picked out those I thought might be less technical, and more
affordable.  There were many extremely expensive titles, some as high as
$200, with such titles as "Proceedings of the 1994 Conference of Acoustical
Engineers".  I can't gaurantee that 100% of these pertain specifically to
noise pollution.  There may be a couple in which the words "noise" or "quiet"
are used metaphorically.  If anyone wants the *complete* list, I can easily
save the whole thing (unedited) on a diskette and send it by private e-mail.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - NON-FICTION - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Fighting Noise in the 1990's. (1991) 120p.                        $21
ISBN 92-64-13457-3

Neighbor Law: Fences, Trees, Boundaries & Noise.  (1991) 320p.    $15/$17
Cora Jordan.

Research on Noise & Environmental Issues. (1988) 92p.             $13
(Transportation Research Record Ser.) (No. 1176)
ISBN 0-309-04715-3

Noise Reduction.  (1985) 40p.                                     $7
Charles E. Durst.  (ABC Pocket Guide for the Field Ser.)
ISBN 1-56016-025-X

Noise Pollution: A Guide to Information Sources. (1979) 544p.     $68
Edited by Clifford R. Bragdon.
(Man & the Environment Information Guide Ser.) (Vol. 5)

A Bibliography of Noise for 1976.  (1978) 202p.                   $13
ISBN 0-87875-128-9

Noise Pollution & the Law. (1970) 354p.                           $42
James L. Hildebrand.
ISBN 0-930342-81-Xviii

    This collection of environmental law review articles provides in
    depth coverage of the subject of noise as an environmental
    pollutant.

The New Electric Vehicles: A Clean & Quiet Revolution. (1996)      $25
Michael A. Hackleman. Illustrated by Ben Root. 276p.

New York's 50 Best Places to Find Peace & Quiet. (1995) 112p.      $10/$11
Fifty Places to Find Peace & Quiet in New York. (1991) 96p.        $6
Both by Allan Ishac.
ISBN 1-885492-16-2

- - - - - - - - - - - - - JUVENILE NON-FICTION - - - - - - - - - - - - -

What We Can Do about Noise & Fumes.  (1992)  48p.                  $18
Donna Bailey.
(What We Can Do about Ser.) illus.  Juv. Gr: 0-4
ISBN 0-531-11018-4

Como Tener un Tiempo de Quietud - How to Have a Quiet Time.  (1994)
Warren Myers and Ruth Myers.  (Serie Realidades - Realities Ser.)
ISBN 1-56063-918-0  93p.

Think of Something Quiet. (1981)    Juv. Gr: ps-4                  $12
Clare Cherry.
(Early Childhood Library) ISBN 0-8224-6949-9

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - JUVENILE FICTION - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Que Ruido!: What Noise!. (1990)    Juv. Gr: 3-up                   $14
Aliana Brodmann. Translated by Hildegard M. Krohn.
Illustrated by Hans Poppel.
(Coleccion Barril Sin Fondo Ser.)

Quiet. (1989)                                                     $14
Peter Parnall. Illustrated by Peter Parnall.
ISBN 0-688-08204-1

Noise?.  (1988)                                                   $5
Petty.
ISBN 0-8431-1803-2

Too Much Noise. (1967)      Juv. Gr 0-3                           $15/$16
Ann McGovern.
ISBN 0-395-18110-0

Things Magical.  (1992) 22p.    Juv. Gr 2-4                       $7
La Rhue Finney. Illustrated by La Rhue Finney.

    THINGS MAGICAL, published by Taffey Apple Press, is the story of
    a little boy & his wise Grandmother who teaches him that time
    spent alone can be exciting & rewarding once he learns to use the
    magic of his own imagination. David thinks it's boring being
    alone without a playmate. "Why must we have quiet time", he asks
    "When you're quiet", she answers, "magical & fun things happen."
    David isn't so sure. He goes up to his room & stretches out on
    his bed hoping the time will pass quickly. And that's when he
    hears a puzzling sound - the sound of someone talking. At first
    he thinks it's his sister playing a joke on him but a quick
    search of his room tells him no one is there. And then, suddenly
    someone is there - a happy, laughing figure wearing a feathered
    hat & a sword tied to his waist with a brightly colored sash.
    "Hello," says the man, "my name is Sergio." And so begins a
    fantastic adventure as David & his new friend take a journey of
    the imagination that can only start when you close your eyes &
    enjoy a little of Grandma's "quiet time." (PA)

The Quiet Farmer. (1991)            Juv. Gr: ps-1                  $14
Marni McGee. Illustrated by Lynne Dennis.

The Little Quiet Book.  (1989)      Juv. Gr: ps                    $4
Katharine Ross. Illustrated by Jean Hirashima.
        $ 3.99  (Bowker, Ingram)

The Peace & Quiet Diner. (1988)     Juv. Gr: ps-3  48p.            $6
ISBN 0-8193-1176-6

Quiet Please. (1987)                Juv. Gr: ps    34p.            $10
Phil Baron. Illustrated by Russell Hicks, Theresa Mazurek,
Douglas McCarty, Allyn Conley-Gorniak, Julie Ann Armstrong,
Lorann Downer and Rivka Whitemountain.
(Teddy Ruxpin Adventure Ser.)
Analog Audio Cassette, Trade Cloth  ISBN 0-934323-40-2