Re: sound pollution

Jocelyn,

>HELLO MY NAME IS JOCELYN.I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW INFO ABOUT SOUND POLLUTION
>FOR MY CLASS PROJECT SUCH AS THE WAYS TO PREVENT SOUND POLLUTION,WHAT IS
>THE STAGE OF SOUND POLLUTION IN THE WORLD AND ETC.PLEASE E-MAIL BACK TO
>ME AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. THANK YOU.

Hello. Your question is so general that it's quite difficult to answer it
comprehensively in such a limited space. However, I'll make an effort and
will try to answer your question in a simple fashion.

Sound pollution is generated in three ways: by machines and vehicles, by
audio equipment, and by people. You may prevent sound pollution either by
reducing the sound power of the source, by reducing the propagation
efficiency (airborne and structureborne) or by protecting the listener. By
far, reducing the emission at the source is the best and most inexpensive
aproach.

In the case of machines, this is attained in general by reducing vibrations
with vibration isolators, by avoiding unbalanced rotational masses, by
avoiding direct impacts or sudden speed changes, by avoiding resonances and
by use of enclosures with high acoustical isolation lined with absorbent
materials.

In the case of motor vehicles, by the use of exhaust mufflers which
attenuate the explosive sounds from combustion engines. There are very
effective designs, but many people purposely change the original units by
less effective ones in order to increase noise emission!

The noise pollution arrising from audio equipment can be avoided by...
simply turning down the volume or gain control! And, of course, by
distributing the loudspeakers in a fashion as to increase the direct-sound
to reverberant-sound ratio. This requires less power and produces a better
intelligibility of speech and music.

People-generated noise pollution is the most dificult to cope with, since it
is necessary to change their mind, which requires great educational efforts.
Actually, the other sources of noise pollution are the consequence of
people's lack of awareness of the fact that noise is actually harmful.

I'm conducting some research regarding eduacation in noise. We call it
"sound hygiene". Some of the suggested activities are: quiet walks, outdoors
listening sessions, explanations about how the ear works (with descriptios
of the oter, middle and inner ear), experiments on noise induced temporary
threshold shift, experiments on masking effects, in both cases assesing the
effects from the speech intelligibility standpoint etc.

Regards,