Re: Motorcycle Noise - What about Tire Noise?

On Thu, 04 Sep 1997 09:31:42 -0700,
Christopher England   <cengland@earthlink.net> wrote:

>As for motorcycles, in Los Angeles there aren't many really.  I have not
>found that motorcycles are a significant source except in Europe...

   This comment puzzles me.  Do you mean tire noise from motorcycles
isn't significant?  I know the big Honda's (Gold Wing?) and even the
Electra-Glides are indeed very quiet, but my sense of the motorcycle
problem is not with the tires, but with the straight pipes ("drag"
pipes) that are installed in place of stock mufflers to deliberately
make as much noise as possible and gain a little extra horsepower.
I haven't been to Los Angeles, but it's my impression that they are
there in abundance, that city being home to the "Hell's Angels".  In
almost every jurisdiction these pipes are illegal, but the laws are
largely unenforced, even *unknown* by the police.  One Long Island
town not long ago dared to enact a ban on such bikes and ended up
retracting it after several biker clubs threatened to hold a rally
there and challenged the police to enforce the law.  Personally, I'm
deeply dissapointed that they backed down.  They couldn't have done
much about the rally, of course, short of calling out the national
gaurd, but after that they could have dealt with individual cases more
easily, and the citizen outrage after such a rally would have given
the police a lot of needed support.

   I live in a very quiet suburban neighborhood, but from my front
yard I can hear these bikes roaring away from the stoplight at the
nearest 4-lane intersection over a mile away.  The "circle of noise"
from just one of these bikes easily takes in over two thousand front
yards like mine.  There is no possible justification for any person
to make *that* much noise for mere personal transportation.

David Staudacher - quiet@igc.org