Re: Sound (music?) as a behaviour modifier

On Tue, 2 Sep 1997 13:04:28 -0400 (EDT),
Albtor@aol.com  <Albtor@aol.com> wrote:

>David:  I agree that noise is "unwanted sound."  However, when it comes to
>extremely loud sounds, e.g. music at discos or through headsets, even if you
>enjoy the sound, your hearing may be adversely impacted. Arline Bronzaft

Yes, indeed.  When noise is so loud as to cause hearing loss, I
don't think any reasonable case could be made for that being "good".
The discussion on the acoustic ecology list was focused on whether a
somewhat distant low buzzing noise was "bad" sound.  I believe a
source was a sawmill. In this case I don't think the potential hearing
loss argument would apply.  While we should certainly use this
powerful weapon wherever possible, I think we also need something that
applies at lower decibel levels.  The idea of a "Right to Quiet" works
for me.