RE: Noise Torture

Michael, your message came through as a file attachment. Some mail readers
may not be able to handle this.

I don't have any literature on noise torture. However, I do recall that
when I was a member of Amnesty International I used to read in their
newsletter about something used in Latin America called "ablandamiento", if
my Spanish is correct, or "softening up". The prisoner would be bound and
blindfolded and have a set of headphones put on him, which would play noise
continuously for 24 hours or more.

One thinks too of the use of loud music to drive people out of strongholds
or sanctuaries, e.g. Noriega in Panama, and the Branch Davidians in Texas.

Peter Donnelly
Right to Quiet Society
http://www.islandnet.com/~skookum/quiet/