Re: Barking Dogs & Animal Rights

Hi Michael,

> What we really need is a complete overhaul of our animal
> control ordinances.   Owning a dog, like driving a car, should
> no longer be considered a right, but a privilege.   Dog owners
> should be given permits on the basis of passing an exam
> demonstrating competence, responsibility, and knowledge
> of good practices for dog care along with municipal ordinances
> defining and controlling animal nuisance behavior.   Police
> need to be empowered to write citations to violators.

  I'd first like to say that I'm in complete agreement with your
position. I too have been, and continue to be tormented periodically by
barking dogs.

 I'd like to play the devil's advocate for a moment, just for fun, and
reply to your argument as many "common folks" would:

 "Right, and I suppose you'd advocate that having children is a privilege too
and we should be given permits after passing an exam demonstrating
competence, responsibility, and knowledge of good practices for child care?"

   - Eric