RE: Gilding the lily

On Sun, 29 Jun 1997, Peter Donnelly wrote:

> I keep thinking about the movie "The Hustler", which I saw again a few
> months ago. There are all those tense scenes in pool halls where the dialog
> stands out against the silence. Hard to imagine it being set in any pool
> hall of the 1990s.

  Interesting that you should choose this example. Back
then they may have been free from one pollutant (noise),
but they had another to contend with (smoke).
  I heard a few women interviewed on a local radio show a
couple of weeks ago who are modern day amateur pool
hustlers. They talked of the smoke-free halls that they
now play in.
  So perhaps 40 or 50 years down the road the pool halls
will be smoke-free, noise-free, and polluted with ... ?

 Eric Greenspoon
  Vice President - Citizens' Coalition Against Noise