Re: Quiet Quote

On Wed, 25 Jun 1997, Federico Miyara wrote:

> Just to give an example, when I'm doing a mental but uninteresting task,
> a Vivaldi concerto is noise, but an quiete appealing one! It is noise
> because it interferes with my activity, I would better not listen to it.

  I would characterize the Vivaldi concerto as a
"pleasant distraction" rather than noise in this case,
simply because you actually _enjoy listening to it, in spite of
its interference with your activity.

> When speaking of "intrinsic" noise, you are right in your ojection. But
> I couldn't as yet find a criterion to tell intrinsic noise from subjective
> noise.

 Sorry, I don't know what you mean by "intrinsic" noise.

 Eric Greenspoon
  Vice President - Citizens' Coalition Against Noise