Re: Introducing myself (long)

On Wed, 25 Jun 1997, Federico Miyara wrote:

> Respectfully, I disagree. I think this sensory overload would be the
> same as the one you "suffer" while listening for the first time to a
> Bach's four-part fugue. I think you can _learn_ to perceive simultaneously
> this kind of art just as you learn to detect a single clarinet in a
> symphonic work. Perhaps you are right if one tries to combine pieces
> originally conceived as separate. But if the artist is thinking in terms
> of both senses, he or she can manage to avoid such overload.

  You've made a good argument and I can agree with what
you've said. The key here is that the artist is
considering both media at the time of creation, just as
Bach considered all 4 parts at the time of composing.
To be sure, another artist can come along many years after
the creation of a musical piece and add video to it, but is
it fair to the original artist and is it confusing,
distracting, or satisfying to the audience?

 Eric Greenspoon
  Vice President - Citizens' Coalition Against Noise