To Annette Feige

Dear friends,

Annette Feige said:

>My sentiments exactly. But let's be realistic. Public awareness is low,
>inconsiderate people abound, and by-law enforcement isn't exactly
>cutting-edge. It'll take a lot of work and time to change that. What are we
>to do in the meantime to protect our sanity?
>Should idealism prevent us from insulating our homes or turning on a fan to
>drown out the neighbour's stereo (I use the term technology in a very broad
>sense here)?

Unfortunately this is an ideological point of discussion. Cyril Harris, in
his book "Noise Control in Buildings" (McGraw-Hill, 1994), makes a
difference between "noise reduction" and "noise control". And he examplifies
the latter by the adoption of a noise source such as... a fan! at the
reception room of a physician so that his private dialogue with the patient
is not overheard.

Obviously, I don't agree with that point of view. I believe that the same
investment in developing noise-related-technology might be better used to
designing quieter appliances, machines, vehicles, and the same investment in
subsidizing public transport or in noise-related-law enforcement should be
directed towards environmental education.

Sincerely,

Federico Miyara
Argentina