Re: Technology and Coping

On Sun, 15 Jun 1997 23:26:24 -0400 (EDT),
Sorrento95@aol.com  <Sorrento95@aol.com> wrote:

><< I'd offer the caveat that "noise cancellation" is not necessarily...
>
>    Will someone explain this to me?
>
>    How can noise be "cancelled"?

   I first came across the technique as a means of suppressing
audience noise from concert hall recordings.  You record one track
with a microphone aimed directly at the audience, away from the
stage.  Later, in the studio, you reverse polarity on the audience
track so that the waveforms are an *exact* inversion of what they
were originally.  When you mix that track against those of the stage
performance, the audience sounds are virtually eliminated by the
*cancellation* effect of combining the inverted signal with its exact
opposite.  The positive and negative amplitudes of each sound wave
net to zero.

   I believe all "active noise cancellation" technologies employ
basically the same principle.  One of the reprints available from
Right to Quiet is an article from the October 1991 issue of
Engineering Digest describing a system devloped by Lotus which
achieves a 20dB reduction in automobile interior noise.  The article
says the system would add only about $200 to the cost of the car and
would be commercially available by 1992.  I don't know of any U.S.
cars using the system, but I expect some are by now.

David Staudacher - quiet@igc.org