RE: Technology and Coping

I'd offer the caveat that "noise cancellation" is not necessarily the same
as insulating ourselves from noise. If someone comes up with a device to be
mounted beside a heat pump, and the device cancels the noise produced by
that heat pump, then that _is_ dealing with noise at the source in the best
possible way -- the householder gets to have a heat pump, and the rest of
us get what we want too.

This is not to be taken as an endorsement of the Noisebuster as a solution.
It offers noise cancellation at the destination, not at the source, and is
unquestionably the "gas mask" approach.

Peter Donnelly
Right to Quiet Society
http://www.islandnet.com/~skookum/quiet/