Introducing myself

Hello all,

I see we now have 17 or 18 on the list, so we're off to a good start. I'd
like to suggest that we all introduce ourselves.

I'm the Vancouver Island director of the Right to Quiet Society, which has
been active in British Columbia since 1982. I maintain our website and
publish the newsletter. I divide my time between Victoria and Redmond,
Washington, where I'm a technical writer/programmer for a large
corporation.

I'm not the moderator of this list, by the way. That honour falls to David
Staudacher, and I want to thank him for making quiet-list possible.

While I've always been bothered by unnecessary noise, it's only in the last
two years that I've started doing something about it. Some of my special
concerns are:

- small planes and helicopters that make needless flights low over my city
(anyone flying to or from the Victoria airport can easily detour over the
water)
- unmuffled motorcycles, operating with impunity in open defiance of the
law
- inescapable program audio in shops, restaurants, and other public places,
and the general addiction to loud entertainment noise that affects the
public at large through things like boom cars and outdoor concerts

There are lots more but you can read them on the website.

I'm fortunate in that although I live in two cities with all the usual
annoyances from sirens to leaf-blowers, I have considerate neighbours and
generally quiet nights. From time to time I get messages from people whose
lives have been made a torment by noise from common walls, nearby night
clubs, airports, and so on. It's sad not to be able to offer these people
anything but sympathy and to know that little can be done except to try to
raise consciousness.

I feel our number one task is to establish the principle of ACOUSTIC
RESPONSIBILITY. Right now you can't legally throw a candy-bar wrapper on
the street but you have the right to blanket large areas with acoustic
garbage from a leaf-blower or a jet-ski. It doesn't make sense.

This list can be a valuable forum for linking the growing number of
pro-quiet activists around the world. Please jump in and let us know who
you are.

If you haven't figured out how to contribute, it's just a matter of
addressing your message to quiet-list@igc.org. Or you can just reply to
this message. (Depending on your software, you may have to "reply to all".)

Peter Donnelly
Right to Quiet Society
http://www.islandnet.com/~skookum/quiet/