RE: Church (catholic or other) references to Noise/Quiet?

On Sun, 15 Jun 1997 09:41:39 -0700,
Peter Donnelly   <skookum@islandnet.com> wrote:

>You may have been thinking of the following article from our Fall '96
>newsletter:
>
>Excerpted from The B.C. Catholic, May 13-19, 1996.
>
>VATICAN CITY (CNS)-One of the most important ways the Mass can respond to
>the needs of modern people is by including ample periods of silence in the
>celebration, Pope John Paul II said.
>
>"In a world pervaded by audiovisual messages of every kind, it is necessary
>to restore zones of silence which allow God to make His voice heard and
>allow souls to understand and welcome His word," the Pope said.
>
>Only a Liturgy that includes times of silence can respond "to the
>requirements and aims of the Christian life."
>

>Peter Donnelly
>Right to Quiet Society
>http://www.islandnet.com/~skookum/quiet/

   Yes!  I think that's it.  I might have found it if I'd used "silence"
instead of "quiet" as a search key.  I avoid the word "silence" in favor
of "quiet" because "silence" sounds extreme and repressive.

David Staudacher - quiet@igc.org